4/11/08

He's a Top. Tops Can't Get It.


(Joel here. This blog post is designed to stimulate conversation, so you are not only welcome but encouraged to comment either anonymously or by name)

This phrase was on the streetside billboard just above an erotic picture of two men embracing, part of an advertising campaign in San Francisco that greatly impacted me in the late 1990s. I was lost in the city, busy drowning out a lifetime of sexual repression, but the billboard woke me up and made me think twice. I went and got tested and made a pact to myself to be more conscious and knowledgeable about the decisions I made with my sexual partners.

That ad campaign may have saved my life.

So for this week’s question that I would LOVE TO HAVE AS MANY COMMENTS AS POSSIBLE… I ask this question: “Have you been impacted by a public service ad campaign about HIV/AIDS or drug use that made you think twice about the decisions you make?"
Joel Shoemaker heads up the Scene Team for IN Utah this Week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't seen that ad before and I like how it talks about the misconception so many guys I know have about tops not needing to worry about getting HIV.

Anonymous said...

Most people I've talked to say less likely rather than can't. I just left a relationship with someone who could not get away from meth. In public, he would claim he was a top, but I watched him turn into a pass around party bottom. So my question is how many of these so called tops are truly total tops?

chefdc said...

top can get hiv but not as easy as bottom but they can still gey it

Anonymous said...

I'm on the east coast near both Philadelphia and NYC and there are TONS of men who think that they won't get HIV from being a top/giver the insertive partner for anal sex, or that you simply can't get HIV at all from giving oral sex.