5/6/08

Do we treat HIV like Leprosy?

"Are you clean?"

More and more often I hear the word "clean" being used to describe oneself as STD-free. Ever see "clean only" on a guy's online profile? Much like lepers were considered morally and physically "unclean" 2000 years ago, this adjective perpetuates the social stigma experienced by those who have HIV or another STD. HIV is a disease that doesn't discriminate. It is not God's punishment for sex, and getting infected certainly doesn’t imply any level of moral inferiority.

In the movie Philadelphia, Andrew (played by Tom Hanks) who is stricken with AIDS says, "Look. I'm no different from everyone else who has this disease: I'm not guilty, I'm not innocent. I'm just trying to survive."

You can help destigmatize HIV by using the terms “STD-negative” or “STD-free” rather than “clean” when discussing this serious and sensitive subject. That makes it easier for guys to open up about their HIV status, leads to safer sex practices, and reduces the transmissions of STDs.

Submitted by Matt Gerber, Village and Utah AIDS Foundation Volunteer

2 comments:

XL said...

I think its good to ask if you are std free, but my main issue with that is then they think they don't need to wear protection, not realizing that a lot of times you can have and pass on an STD (including HIV) without knowing it.

Anonymous said...

Sex should be like a visit to the dentist... always assume risk and wear latex until tested together (assuming you want to stay together). Why would I trust someone I just met about something so important to my life?